ChangeGamer promotes the use of computer games to study themes such as energy, climate change, natural disasters, the environment, economics, politics, history and science. The main function of ChangeGamer is to find high-quality games, and to create student activities for each of those games. The vast majority of games are free, browser-based, and playable on a number of different platforms (e.g. PC, Mac, Chromebook, etc.). All of the posted activities are free and have been tested in middle and high school classrooms (Gr.7-12). We have created answer keys for a number of the student activities where applicable - if you are a teacher and require any of these email us through the contact page using your school email address.
In addition, ChangeGamer:
- submits game-related activities for publication in a number of different outlets;
- shares its experience of using games in the classroom at conferences;
- carries out research into the effectiveness of game-based learning;
- hires interns to help find games and write game-based curriculum;
- promotes other 'games in education' organizations, resources, and conferences.
ChangeGamer comprises of teachers and academics who volunteer their time to further the use of computer games in subjects such as Social Studies, Geography, and Science. ChangeGamer was founded in 2014 in Toronto, building on the experience of teachers who have been using computer games in their classrooms for up to 10 years.